The goal of the College and University Section Research Grant is to award a grant on an annual basis to support a research project that will enhance academic librarianship.
To support research or scholarship which contributes to academic librarianship, particularly in Nebraska. Emphasis will be placed sharing the results of the project with the College & University Section membership, in addition to any national distribution, publication or presentation.
Types of Research Projects:
Proposals may include, but not be limited to, the following:
- Research project resulting in a published article, essay, book or electronic document.
- Research project resulting in submission of a document to ERIC.
- Research project resulting in a presentation or conference paper to be delivered at a local, state or national conference.
- Development of a technical or software program or application.
- Development of an instructional application or curriculum guide.
- Development and execution of a survey, study, or report.
The Committee shall assist grant recipients with the sharing of results with the membership when an obvious method is not apparent.
- Applicants for the grant must be members of the College & University Section. For group projects, at least one member of the group must be a Section member.
- The project must benefit a significant number of libraries or librarians. Strongest consideration will be given to the project that holds the greatest potential benefit for the widest audience.
- Applicants must submit 2 letters of reference from professional colleagues who are knowledgeable of applicant's work and ability to complete the stated project.
- Prior recipients may not apply for a grant within three years of the acceptance date of a previous grant from this committee.
- Applicants will complete the application form and the terms form, which are linked below.
- The proposal must contain the following elements.
- A descriptive title.
- Goals and objectives of the project.
- A problem statement.
- Include a description of how the project should be viewed within the context of the literature, research or other similar projects in the field.
- Significance and expected impact or implications of the project.
- Design and methodology of the project.
- Scope of the project.
- Project tasks.
- Timetable and completion dates.
- Proposed means of disseminating the results.
- Statement of the intended use of the grant money.
Research Grant Application Form (PDF) Research Grant Application Form (MS Word)
Research Grant Terms (PDF) Research Grant Terms (MS Word)
Research Grant Recipients and Projects
- There shall be a committee of three members, appointed by the C&U Section Chair to review all proposals.
- No two members of the committee shall work at the same institution.
- Committee terms shall be three year appointments. Terms shall be staggered so that committee members shall rotate on and off the committee. Once established, one new member shall join the committee each year. Once established the Chair shall be the person sitting on the Committee for the longest number of years.
- The Selection Committee will review the eligibility of the applicant and verify that the proposed project meets the conditions of acceptable projects.
- The Selection Committee shall promote the availability of the grant.
- Responsibilities of the Chair of the Grant Committee shall include:
- Preparing the application form to be distributed at the annual fall meeting and submitting copies of the form to the C&U Section Chair and to the C&U webmaster.
- Schedule meetings of the committee.
- Communicate with the applicants, acknowledge all applications in a timely manner, convey decisions to the C&U Executive Board and to grant recipients.
- Communicate with C&U Treasurer who shall issue checks.
- Maintain the records of the committee.
- An application form shall be made available to any interested Section member. Grant seekers may request application forms from the Chair of the C&U Section, Chair of the Grant Committee or obtain a form from the C&U Home Page.
- A flyer soliciting grant proposals shall be distributed at the annual fall business meeting.
- The Chair shall make appointments to the Research Grant Selection Committee in November of each year.
- The submission deadline will be March 15 .
- The award shall be decided before the annual Spring Meeting and announced at the Spring Meeting.
- A project should be completed within a two year period. The two year period shall not apply to the time a work is in the hands of a publisher, or the time between the completion of a project and the delivery of the results at a conference, or any such similar waiting periods beyond project completion and dissemination of results.
Adapted in part from the MPLA Manual of Procedure "Professional Grants Program" (April 1997) and the AALL Technical Services SIS and AALL Online Bibliographic Services SIS "Joint Research Grant Committee Guidelines."
For questions regarding this grant, contact Julie Pinnell (firstname.lastname@example.org.)